My desk is always a mess because I have about 1 million different things on it for different classes at all times. When I came across this desk organizer in the thrift store I knew I couldn’t pass it up because it would help so much! Keep reading to see how I made it chic!
- Upcycle an item(s) from a thrift store, resale store, or garage sale into a new piece of decor.
- There’s no monthly theme.
- There’s no budget to stick to.
Meet the Hosts!
Sooooo, we started the 4th quarter of the school year yesterday! It’s all downhill from here and these next 2 months are just gonna zoom right by. I’ve wanted my computer monitor at school raised all year, and was actually working on build plans for something, but then I stumbled across this desk organizer at the thrift store that would do just that! And for under $3, who could pass it up? So finally, in the last quarter of the school year, my monitor will be raised to the height I want. Better late than never, right? ;)
- white chalk paint
- rose gold acrylic paint
- marble contact paper
- x-acto knife
- agate drawer pull
1. It was originally a dark cherry looking wood and I wanted to brighten it up. I first cleaned it up using a damp cloth (sorry about all the dust in the first pic!), then I painted 2 coats on the outside edges and 1 coat on the inside bits. Because I planned to cover the shelves with something different, I didn’t worry about painting that part.
2. It should come as no shock to you that I added rose gold. I’m completely obsessed with this paint and I want to use it for a bajillion more projects, so be forewarned. I painted the border edges and the shelf sides to look like gilding.
3. Like I said in step 1, I planned on not painting the shelves. I had some marble contact paper left over from a previous project and thought it’d be perfect. Just make sure the rose gold paint is completely dry before applying! Once it was securely on there I took an x-acto knife to cut out the holes for the cords.
4. The last thing to do was to replace the drawer pull. Like I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I love the combination of rose gold and navy. For this project though, I didn’t want to use navy paint and instead wanted to incorporate the color a different way. I was shopping at Hobby Lobby when I came across this navy agate drawer pull and fell in love. Since their drawer pulls were 50% off, I knew I couldn’t pass it up. I just switched the old in with the new!
I’ll be 110% honest, my desk is still probably going to get crazy and cluttered but I think this will help so much! I love the different compartments it has, especially how it hides the cords.
How do you guys organize your work space? Do you have any hacks? Let me know in the comments!
And now for more thrifty goodness!
Check out what my fellow upcyclers created below!
Shop the DIY